Comprehensive Family Law And Personal Injury Representation

Knowledgeable Guidance For Parental Relocation

Adults transition in and out of jobs and different employers more frequently than ever before. Moving children as the result of a job change is a difficult decision for most parents. It is even more challenging for divorced couples with minor children.

Whether you are a custodial parent seeking approval to relocate or a noncustodial parent wishing to protect your parental rights, the caring and dedicated team at , can help. Our offices in Cocoa and Orlando represent family law clients across Central Florida, and we are happy to assist you with relocation. We have a thorough knowledge and extensive experience in divorce and family law matters, including the laws regarding relocation. Call us at 855-688-4713 to schedule your free consultation.

Custody And Parent Relocation

Child custody and visitation issues are impacted when a custodial parent moves to a distant city, out of the state or to a different country. Often, the custodial parent has legitimate reasons to relocate, chief among them being employment opportunities not available in the parent’s current location.

The noncustodial parent has equally good reasons to prevent the custodial parent from moving farther away and may petition for custody or modification to prevent the other parent from moving with the child or children. An experienced and knowledgeable Orlando parent relocation lawyer can help.

Protecting Your Rights And Understanding The Process

Our first and most emphatic advice is to not move away with your child without advising the other parent. This failure to notify is a clear violation of Florida law that not only harms your chances of getting approval to relocate with your child but also could result in removing you as the custodial parent. A parent must file a notice of intent to relocate stating whether they intend to move, the date of the intended move, the new contact information and the reason for the relocation. In addition, a proposed revised visitation schedule must be included.

A noncustodial parent has 30 days after receiving a notice of intent to relocate to file an objection with the court. If an objection is not filed within that time, it is presumed that the noncustodial parent consents to the move. If an objection is filed within 30 days, the parent requesting to move must obtain the court’s permission to do so.

The court considers many factors to rule on a relocation case, including:

  • The reasons for the custodial parent’s request to relocate, whether they be for health, economic or other interests impacting the family
  • Whether access to the noncustodial parent will be maintained
  • The noncustodial parent’s involvement in the child’s life
  • The expense and difficulty of traveling for the child or noncustodial parent

Generally, getting remarried or receiving a job promotion is not considered an exceptional or unanticipated change in circumstance.

Work With A Proven Parent Relocation Attorney

Our attorney can answer your questions regarding parental relocation during a free, no-obligation consultation. Call 855-688-4713 or use our contact form to schedule an appointment.