Orlando Parent Relocation Attorney

Adults transition in and out of jobs and different employers more frequently than ever before, particularly in a fragile economy like the one that most of the country continues to rebound from.

Moving children as the result of a job change is a difficult decision for most parents. It is even more challenging for divorced couples with minor children.

Child custody and visitation issues are impacted when a custodial parent wants to move to a distant city, out of the state or to a different country. Often, the custodial parent has legitimate reasons to relocate, chief among them being employment opportunities that are not available in the parent’s current location.

The noncustodial parent has equally good reasons to prevent the custodial parent from moving farther away and may petition for custody or modification to prevent the other parent from moving. An experienced and knowledgeable Orlando parent relocation lawyer can help.

Orange County Child Relocation Lawyer

Whether you are a custodial parent seeking approval to relocate or a noncustodial parent wishing to protect your parental rights, the caring and dedicated team at The Davies Law Firm, LLC, in Orlando, Florida, can assist you with matters of relocation. We have thorough knowledge and extensive experience in divorce and family law matters, including the laws regarding parent relocation.

Our first and most emphatic advice is to not move away with your child without advising the other parent. This is a clear violation of Florida law that not only harms your chances of getting approval to relocate with your child, but could result in removing you as the custodial parent.

A parent must file a notice of intent to relocate stating where he or she is intending to move, the date of the intended move, the new phone number and the reason for the relocation. In addition, a proposed revised visitation schedule must be included.

A noncustodial parent has 30 days after receiving a notice of intent to relocate to file an objection with the court. If an objection is not filed within that time, it is presumed that the noncustodial parent consents to the move. If an objection is filed within 30 days, the parent requesting to move must petition the court for permission to do so.

Addressing The Court’s Concerns

The court considers a number of factors in order to rule on a relocation case, including:

  • The custodial parent is moving for exceptional circumstances such as economic or health reasons
  • Whether access to the noncustodial parent will be maintained
  • The noncustodial parent’s involvement in the child’s life
  • The expense and difficulty of traveling for the child or noncustodial parent

Generally, getting remarried or receiving a job promotion is not considered exceptional circumstances.

Our attorney can answer your questions regarding parental relocation during a free, no-obligation consultation. Call 407-540-1010 or reach us toll free at 866-471-4282, or use our contact form to schedule an appointment.